The Ruby® virtual receptionist team knows how to make a positive impact with just a few words. Our exchanges with callers are typically brief, but we’re always on the lookout for ways to connect and spread a little cheer. We’ve found it’s easy to make every telephone answering experience a great one, and you can do the same!
Whether your next chat is short or long, basic or involved, you can make a great impression on your caller with these five tips:
- Check in at the get-go. As soon as you know who you’re talking to, ask a polite question to engage your caller. “How are you?” is a standby, but if you know your caller well, try going for something more specific (“How’s your new house?”). A little warmth goes a long way!
- Slip a “thank you” into every exchange. Look for at least one opportunity to express your gratitude, even if it’s for something small. While you’re at it, try saying “thank you” instead of the more casual “thanks.”
- Use words that pack a punch. You may only have a minute or two to chat, but that doesn’t mean you can’t express a lot. Rather than saying “sure” or “okay,” show your enthusiasm with “Absolutely!” or “Certainly!” or “Of course!” or “You bet!”
- Balance a negative with a positive. If you need to say “no,” follow your “no” with an offer of help: “I don’t have Jim’s email address, but I’ll ask my co-worker for it and send it your way.”
- Sign off with style. Cap your phone call with a friendly statement like “It was great talking to you.” You don’t have to talk for long to work in a nice sign-off: “Have a nice day, Dave! I’ll connect you to Terry’s line now.” Use your caller’s name if you can — people love to hear their names!
These are just a few of the ways our live virtual receptionists brighten our callers’ days. Do you have any telephone tips? Share them by Tweeting us @callruby!