Hopefully by now you’ve seen Ruby® Receptionists’ new core values. They define who we are and what we believe. They are the qualities we would never compromise, no matter how unpopular or unprofitable: Innovate, Foster Happiness, Create Community, and Practice WOWism. But what do they look like in action? Last time, I talked about leading through Innovation, and today I want to focus on the Ruby community.
First, why do we Create Community? There are a lot of answers to this question. We create community because it makes the office a friendly, comfortable place to be. We believe in the contagious quality of happiness. In theory, each Ruby could work from an offsite location, plugging away at their telephone answering duties in isolation. Instead, we’re all in the same Portland office. You might call it our international headquarters. Even though the receptionists don’t have much opportunity to talk to each other while they’re talking to callers, we find other ways to create a strong community.
How We Create Community:
- We do things together: We have monthly events, on-site fitness classes, and lasting friendships.
- We do things for each other: We help each other move, give each other rides, and there’s always a Ruby happy to share her lunch if someone else has forgotten one.
- We share our stuff and our talents: Crafty Rubys are always sharing their arts with the rest of us, whether by teaching their trade to another Ruby or just giving a hand-made gift. The upstairs library is full of books donated by Rubys to be enjoyed by everyone in the office. We even have an office bike that everyone is welcome to use.
- We share good news: Everyone gets to see compliments from clients, and we especially like to “Ooo” and “Ahh” whenever we have good news–babies and weddings are favorites.
- We create community outside of Ruby: We volunteered at the Oregon Food Bank in 2008 and again in 2009. In 2009 a group of more than a dozen “Rubys for Boobies” raised over $400 for the Race for the Cure.
We are a team, and the goal of our sport is success–success for our clients, for our team members, and for everyone we interact with, every day. Our clients don’t view us as faceless operators, but part of their team, and we view them as part of ours. When our clients win, we win. We consider the big picture in every action and choose the path that provides the most benefits for all involved. It is not one superstar that makes our company work. We are all connected and we depend on each other. We create special times together. We make the connection. We succeed through creating community.