Birthdays and holidays are wonderful reasons to send a handwritten notecard to a client. But, if you’re aiming to create connections, don’t wait for these annual events to roll around—any time is a great time to send a notecard!
Here is a list of ten notecard-worthy occasions:
1. Sports team connection. Whether you’re fans of the same team or rooting for rivals, a shared love of sports opens the door to all sorts of great notecard opportunities.
2. Local news. Even noteworthy events in your client’s town are a great reason to reach out:
Looks like the weather in Pittsburgh is wild lately. How are you and your team holding up in the snow? We’re sending you warm wishes!
3. Encouragement or follow-up. Friendly chitchat is the gateway to genuine connection. Maybe your client mentioned she’s preparing for a big presentation during a recent conversation, or revealed her anxiousness about running a marathon. A notecard is a great conversational follow-up, and the perfect way to show you care:
The last time we chatted, you mentioned you were preparing for a big presentation. How did it go? I am sure you knocked ’em dead!
I’m so impressed that you’re challenging yourself to run your first marathon. You’re going to feel so great when you finish! Best of luck—we’re all rooting for you!
4. “You might like this.” Perhaps you came across a book, movie, or article you think your client might dig? Send a notecard with the details!
5. “I thought of you the other day.” When something reminds you of a client, take it as a gentle nudge from the universe to reach out:
I saw a cute old Volkswagen Beetle the other day and thought of you. Are you still fixing up the one you bought? I hope you’ve had a chance to take it for a spin!
6. Get well soon. This gold standard never loses its charm! When you learn a client is under the weather, send your well wishes.
7. New address. When a client moves to a new office space, be sure to send a congratulatory card.
8. Shared hobbies. A goldmine for notecard inspiration.
Our local convention center is hosting a knitting expo next month. Sounds like the perfect opportunity for you to visit Portland—our team would love to meet you in person!
9. After a great conversation. Something as simple as a pleasant exchange with a client can make your day, and theirs! Take a moment to pen a note. No complicated message required—a simple expression of gratitude is sure to wow:
Thanks so much for calling today. I had a wonderful time chatting with you! Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you need anything.
10. A Just-Because notecard. Maybe you don’t have a specific reason to send a notecard? Don’t sweat it—just grab a pen and card, and jot down something from the heart. Sometimes the greatest connections are sparked with the simplest of gestures!